Problem when assigning axis & voice

Add a topic per game or app along with any tips & tricks

Moderator: DevRuss

Citizentech

Problem when assigning axis & voice

Post by Citizentech »

Hi there, nice to be here.

A few days ago I bought a 3dconnecxion mouse, more precisely the space navigator for notebooks model. I bought it exclusively for use with elite dangerous/star citizen.
I followed the guides as explained here https://www.tetherscript.com/kbcmj/cmj-star-citizen/ or in the ED video also published on the site.
My problem is in "The Correct Way to Bind... point 3 .... and then speak 'Bind Rotation on X Axis' into the microphone. "
Not only do I say it in English but also in Spanish but there is no way I take that command.

Watching the Elite Dangerous video has all these commands:

I just watch these:

Do I have to create them all myself or what would it be like? Does the paid version bring them? Thanks a lot for the help you can give me since I feel a little frustrated and if CMJ software solves this I don't hesitate to buy it.

Sorry if my English is not very good.
DevRuss
Journeyman

Re: Problem when assigning axis & voice

Post by DevRuss »

Hi!

You have run into an outdated article on our KB, and we'll fix this soon. They method for voice binding (and also now binding by menu) has been changed in the most recent CMJ version.

>>Does the paid version bring them?
The 14-day trial version has all the features of the paid version.

From the somewhat inadequate tutorial 13:

BINDING OUTPUT JOYSTICK BUTTONS AND AXIS
1)Select a button or axis from the list in the Output/Joystick tab.
2)Then right-click and select Bind Button or Hat or Axis, or speak a bind command as defined in the voice setup screen, commands tab.

And don't forget to set up a Profile Target: Tutorial 06

More info on the voice commands used for binding here:

https://www.tetherscript.com/kbcmj/cmj-voice-commands/

Hope that helps!
Russ - Tetherscript Developer
Marin

Post by Marin »

I'm having trouble with this as well.

It seems I can assign the input without the use of voice, by running Star Citizen in windowed mode and, when in the Options-> Keybindings-> Advanced Controls Customization (for Hotas), I double-click on a control I want to assign (for example Pitch) and than quickly alt-tab to ControlMyJoystick, right click on the ouput vector I want to assign and select 'Bind Axis - Both'.

When I have voice enabled (but no microphone connected) and also checked the 'beep on success', I even get a beep informing me that the bind command was executed.

However, Star Citizen is very spotty in recognizing the given inputs. I got 2 controls connected, but so far, no luck on the other ones?

Any chance you could update the guide for star citizen (https://www.tetherscript.com/kbcmj/cmj-star-citizen/)? because right now I feel like I'm groping around in the dark.
DevRuss
Journeyman

Post by DevRuss »

I'm definately looking at updating the Elite:Dangerous and Star Citizen tutorials and videos soon after the next version. E:D was always easy to set up, but Star Citizen was tough....the SC user interface for assigning keystrokes and axis drove me crazy.
Russ - Tetherscript Developer
HalDav85

Post by HalDav85 »

In any remapping application I've ever used, from vjoy to the saitek\logitech smartpanel, to the thrustmaster TARGET programmer, to Joy2Key in wine on a mac, to gamepad companion on a mac; you need to do 2 things before you start. First, see how well your game detects your controller. You may not need a remap. Second, get a feel for all the controls of the keyboard, and the AXES of your control of vehicles etc. Some games have a pdf or other document you can download that will give you a basic mapping, but the more complex the controls, the more you'll want to make your own map of them, since some will simply overlap with a single difference of a modifier key, or a trigger key that, when added to any standard key, switches its behavior to a new or altered control
Voice command sets are fairly new, but that doesn't mean they're easy. They are dependant on the timbral balance in your voice and the quality of your microphone both in game and outside of it. That means they utilize targeted algorithms that listen for the phrase, the way you say it, and even loudness of the mic. Since speech is made up of so many different sounds run together, the timbral balance is all over, but there are some parts that will remain somewhat consistent. Unfortunately, this doesn't work as well if you are speaking in a language that is not natural to you. IF you are going to use voice commands, one to two word commands that activate and deactivate a toggle, and then perform the command are more the way to go. For example, I play Comanche Gold (really just the comanche3 engine with all the missions of 1, 2, and 3 and a few updated ones). On the airframe, there's a weapon bay door that I keep closed for radar discipline (I don't like being seen and shot before I finish a mission). I call out Baydoor, robotic in my tone, no emotion, and it works fine; if I'm frustrated, this changes. It does help me to adjust myself a little, but in a pinch, if I'm in a hurry and I absolutely have to trust it, I go with a hand control, as the hyper adrenaline state keeps this from working in voice command. Don't give it to anything critical. Landing gear, basic clearances, engines on of, hud colors, etc. Small things that don't really affect your alive\dead status in game. Of course, I tried it with cheats too in comanche, and that was fun.
With a 3d mouse you'll want to test the axes. Remember that several of the axes actually have a limit. The up down pull\push especially. These are difficult to map for that reason. Many people have chosen a dual joystick model instead, giving you 8 path axes instead of only 6, which works pretty well in a lot of games. In mechwarrrior 5 this is recommended, but I've gotten away with using an axis as a modifier of another axis (In other words, multiplying the effect of one axis by another's value), which allows me to control the speed of motion using a throttle control. Since the throttle has a mouse-like mini stick on it, I can use that like a secondary joystick with almost complete freedom, controlling the force of one set of axes with the multiplier of the other.
So there is a third action you need to perform. You need to get a feel for the tetherscript interface. I'm about to download it. I might do both the steam version and the standard. Ultimately though, paying for this multiple times... ...hmm... ...dunno. I don't know if I hate subscription pricing that much for things like this. For larger software titles, I hate it. For a utility like this, which can grow\get better\change focus over time, I might do subscription just to make sure the programmer doesn't forget to keep forging ahead. But for this one, I might just let that go. I've watched the videos, I've checked with a few using it, and to be honest, it isn't altogether unlike the TARGET software of my current Thrustmaster flight set. TARGET software currently has a problem with the joystick though. It very rarely stays connected to the profiler. Their software INTENTIONALLY DISABLES the set in the drivers, which seems to disconnect the joystick completely. I say it needs a power loop internal to the stick that keeps it powered so long as usb is plugged; I think they flubbed that when designing their software. Tetherscript and vJoy don't disconnect anything. You pick your preferred controller, and the system will use that controller as the default when it is called for, so you don't have a conflict. It works for me on Microsoft Fury 3, a game from windows 95, running on windows 10 (No compatibility mode), with a joystick\throttle selected as my flight control, with vJoy and Universal Control Remapper (both freeware). They don't have the power of this program, but for fury 3 it isn't needed. It's such a simple game. I suggest you start with those other software in a simpler sim game, and learn to map hand controls for a while, then come back and try this program, work it in slowly. Then go to ED: SC and try again. Best to learn the little stuff before the big stuff.