Canon M50

Post your question or observations here.

Moderator: DevRuss

Geoffoote

Canon M50

Post by Geoffoote »

Hi, I have downloaded the trial version of ControlMyCanon to use with my Canon M50. I have 2 main problems:
1) The focus point does not move to the point at which I click on the screen very accurately which makes precise focussing a bit hit & miss.
2) The only camera control which appears to transmit to the body is the ISO setting. Shutter speed & aperture values can only be set on the camera.
I have tried the software with a Canon 60mm f2.8 macro lens using a Canon adapter & also with an 18 to 55mm EF-M lens with the same results. Has anybody used the latest version of the software with the M50 &, if so, could you give me help with the camera settings to use. I did succeed in getting a focus stack to work with the macro lens so it appears to be communicating ok. Any help would be much appreciated before I commit to purchase. Thanks, Geoff
DevRuss
Journeyman

Re: Canon M50

Post by DevRuss »

Hi Geoff,

>>1) The focus point does not move to the point at which I click on the screen very accurately which makes precise focussing a bit hit & miss.
The accuracy is limited by the number of focus zones available for the body. If you can make the focus zone/box smaller in the camera setup on the body, this will help accuracy.

>>2) The only camera control which appears to transmit to the body is the ISO setting.
Be sure to set the body to Manual exposure mode for all the exposure settings to be transmitted. If this is the case already, it is possible the the M50 is not allowing some settings to be set while in live view, which, now that it is a mirrorless body, is all the time. We'll investigate further.
Russ - Tetherscript Developer