Renaming files on the fly

Post your question or observations here.

Moderator: DevRuss

gortsbud01

Renaming files on the fly

Post by gortsbud01 »

I've reviewed the docs and videos - a lot of them anyway - and, while the application is far more than I need, I believe it will do the trick.

However, I don't see everything I need. I see where I can communicate directly with ControlMy from my system via TCP/IP. However, what I really need to complete the picture (no pun intended) is to be able to embed cataloging info in the filename when the picture is taken. I see that in the "Batch" mode and scanner functionality but I need that on-the-fly if possible. We're shooting and cataloging pictures on a production line so this is a different scenario that what you're (probably) used to and unless I'm missing something the Batch functionality won't work.

In this application, the scanner will be attached to a production control station. Each "product" will be scanned by the operator for purposes of identification and classification. When the operator scans a special barcode, a command will be sent to ControlMy to Shoot a picture. My application has all of the info needed to catalog the picture and I'd like to send that to ControlMy so the file name contains that information. Failing that, I'll have to include a file watcher and grab the picture when ControlMy saves it and complete the cataloging myself.

I'd really like to make a decision on the approach I'm going to use so I can quote the customer. Any insight or document references would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for you help,

By the way the support email function is dead...it just reports "x error" on the screen.

Cliff Freiwald
V-Tech Systems LLC
DevRuss
Journeyman

Re: Renaming files on the fly

Post by DevRuss »

Hi Cliff,

I'm going to include our answer take from our support email on the same topic for future reference:
We do have users who scan a barcode which causes an image capture and data to be embedded in the filename and image IPTC data fields. There is more information on this at https://www.tetherscript.com/kbcmn/batch/

You’ll need to physically tether, via USB cable (up to 12’) or active USB cable for longer lengths. Images can be captured max once every 4 or 5 seconds reliably due to the image being transferred at the end of each capture. The camera also has a shutter lifetime of maybe 100,000 activations before it can break down. For industrial settings, I’d personally implement a off-the-shelf imaging equipment designed for the environment it will operate in (there are pinhole cameras for dusty environments, for example). Companies like FLIR have equipment and expertise in this area.
Russ - Tetherscript Developer