Nikon D5100 macro photography

Post your question or observations here.

Moderator: DevRuss

Walt Gillespie

Nikon D5100 macro photography

Post by Walt Gillespie »

I have my Nikon D510 on a Manfrotto arm clamped to the cabinet counter top. I'm using a light booth with 2 strips of LED lights front and back.
I have the stock Nikon DX 18-55mm lens on the body. I have other lenses but those tend to be for landscape shots.
I need to do close up photos of small 3D printed products that I manufacture for item descriptions on my website.
I'm looking for the best setting for this. So if anyone has similar experience I'd appreciate your feed back.

Fine detail in sharp focus and good color. Problem with color though is I use a grey resin for the 3D prints.
Current settings on this shot are:
Shutter- 1/80, Aperture - f/8, Comp - -.033, ISO - 160, WB - Auto, Format - JPEG Fine, L(4928-3264), Saving to computer only.
I'd attach a photo but it requires a URL and the photo is not on the web.

Thanks,
Walt
DevRuss
Journeyman

Re: Nikon D5100 macro photography

Post by DevRuss »

Hi Walt,

Some suggestions:
1) Make sure you do a white balance in ControlMyNikon before each session by using a white or grey card. 'WB - Auto' will disappoint.
2) Adjust the lights so there is minimal reflection. A polarizing filter on the lens may be helpful here.
3) A ring light may be useful here so no shadows are cast.
4) JPG is fine so long as you get the white balance correct.
5) Other settings look good, though using the exposure delay setting in CMN will help minimize vibration.

Hope that helps!
Russ - Tetherscript Developer