Device cannot be opened [Solved]

Post your question or observations here.

Moderator: DevRuss

Ross balmer
Apprentice

Device cannot be opened [Solved]

Post by Ross balmer »

Hi. I just recently bought ControlMyJoystick this week and it was working fine. However, because of some other issues with my machine, I decided to reinstall Windows. Since the reinstall, which used the latest versions of ControlMyJoystick (5.3.45.89) and 3DxWare (10 10.6.5), I keep getting the message "Device cannot be opened", which is strange because CMJ shows the device is working properly on the Input/3DxWare tab, where the axis values change as I move the mouse.

Is there anything I can do about this? Is it something I have done in the install? I would really appreciate any help since this is obviously a very fine piece of software when I can get it working.

Many thanks,
Ross Balmer
DevRuss
Journeyman

Re: Device cannot be opened

Post by DevRuss »

Please post the text from the log tab here and I will take a look. Which 3dconnexion device are you using? Not sure if the message is referring to another device, such as the microphone or a joystick. Does the 3dconnexion controller seem to work ok in CMJ even though this message is displayed in the log?
Russ - Tetherscript Developer
Whiten01se
Apprentice

Post by Whiten01se »

Yeah i'm running into the exact same issue since today.

What happened: I got my Kensington SlimBlade trackball (wonderful addition to the 3dx). However, it appears that if i use the actual Kensington driver for the device, i get the "cannot be opened" error from CMJ. If i replace the driver with a generic mouse driver (and lose functionality, like button assignments) it will then again work with CMJ (meaning CMJ won't crash).

I'd request this to be looked into with some urgency. Thank you. :)
Ross balmer
Apprentice

Post by Ross balmer »

I am using a 3d SpaceMouse. It worked just fine before I reinstalled Windows. Now I can't get it to work. CMJ is still detecting the device. When I try to bind an output to Elite Dangerous (or anything) the values of all the axes are set to -1000.
cmj1.jpg
DevRuss
Journeyman

Post by DevRuss »

Hi Ross,

Are you using a Kensington device, or using a Kensington driver for any devices on that system? This is the third instance of this error that I have heard this week. The other two were Kensington device driver related.
Ross balmer
Apprentice

Post by Ross balmer »

Yup, I am using a Kengsington Orbit. It's the Kensington driver alright. That's annoying, but not as bad as ControlMyJoystick not working.

It must be worse for Whiten01se with the SlimBlade button assignments feature not working. I am looking into this, maybe it will help?

http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMou ... ontrol.htm

I have heard Kensington software is a bit flaky. It's a shame because the hardware is great. Hope you manage get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for the help!

Ross
DevRuss
Journeyman

Post by DevRuss »

@Rossbalmer Many thanks for the Kensington device info. We are looking at the code now, not sure on when a fix will come out.
DevRuss
Journeyman

Post by DevRuss »

We are working on the fix for this. The error that caused the crash *may* have been fixed in the new patch. We can’t duplicate this error here.

Note: This patch is available for the registered and trial version available on the tetherscript website. It won’t work on the Steam version.

Instructions
Replace the v5.3.45.89 controlmyjoystick.exe with the following v5.4.17.19 executable which contains a possible fix for the 'Device cannot be opened' and 'Device cannot be identified' bug. This is only the executable only. If this fixes the problem, we'll release the full installer. The new executable will work with your existing product key and also extends the trial period.

https://tetherscript.s3-us-west-2.amazo ... e_only.zip

Please let me know if this fixes the problem or not.
DevRuss
Journeyman

Post by DevRuss »

This issue is resolved in 5.4.17.79.
Whiten01se
Apprentice

Re: Device cannot be opened [Solved]

Post by Whiten01se »

Awesome work! Thanks a lot. Confirmed resolved.

I'm curious, what was the solution?
DevRuss
Journeyman

Post by DevRuss »

It was a silly bug - i had left a component out on the Delphi form for communicating with a beta Wheel driver, but had not hooked up the error handling for it. This component should have not been there for the release. Major slappage of forehead when I saw that.
Whiten01se
Apprentice

Post by Whiten01se »

I'm noticing frequent slowdowns of the UI and also the internal controller updates after running CMJ .79 for a while. I couldn't establish a solid pattern yet, but after some time the UI will become very slow, same with controller updates received from CMJ. If you then try to close the application, it'll lock up.
DevRuss
Journeyman

Post by DevRuss »

Which controller hardware are you using? I'll check again for memory leaks. How long roughly does it take before it slows down? Also, are you using voice recognition? Does it always happen in the same profile? If so, please let me know.
Whiten01se
Apprentice

Post by Whiten01se »

DevRuss wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:39 pm Which controller hardware are you using? I'll check again for memory leaks. How long roughly does it take before it slows down? Also, are you using voice recognition? Does it always happen in the same profile? If so, please let me know.
Connected controllers are:
- Spacemouse (for T[xyz] and R[xyz])
- VJoy (for Slider and dial)

Voice recognition is configured (and probably active), but not really used aside from assigning axes when req'd.
It does always happen on the same profile (i have only one that i use).

The time it takes until slowdown i cannot estimate, i only notice it after "some time" when the controls ingame get sluggish. This can happen after i haven't used the game in a while, or after gaming for some time...
DevRuss
Journeyman

Post by DevRuss »

That is good info, and I am still looking into this. I haven't been able to replicate the issue, although the leading candidate is something weird going on with the voice control, but more likely the 3dconnexion driver.

The next version of CMJ won't use the 3dconnexion at all. I'll keep an eye out for this issue, and likely add some logging to try to give some guidance on what is going on.