D7500 - controlling focus

Post your question or observations here.

Moderator: DevRuss

richard99

D7500 - controlling focus

Post by richard99 »

Hello:
I am a new user. I'm hoping someone with a D7500 can tell me how to configure it so that the program can adjust the focus using the coarse and fine focus adjustment controls. At this point, I can click on any point in the Live View image, and the camera will focus on that point. However, if I try to change the focus with the "focus nearer" or "focus farther" controls, the focus doesn't change.
I have tried all the combinations of focus settings on the camera body that I can think of, but so far, no luck. I have read "Focus Stacking: Focus Never Changes", but haven't found the solution.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Richard
DevRuss
Journeyman

Re: D7500 - controlling focus

Post by DevRuss »

Hi Richard,

If you are able to get it to autofocus by clicking on the live view image, the body and lens are communicating fine. However, the focus nearer/farther controls to step the focus point manually uses a bit of a different method. It does rely on the lens having a Nikon or compatible lens CPU in the lens. Which lens exactly are you using? I have seen some off-brand (like some Sigma's and Tamron) lenses not be completely compatible and exhibited the same problem that you are encountering. Unfortunately, there is no workaround for this. I had this same problem with a Sigma 150mm macro lens way back.
Russ - Tetherscript Developer
richard99

Post by richard99 »

Hi Russ:
Thanks for the feedback. The lens is an AF-S Nikkor DX VR 18- 300, 3.5 -6.3 G, which I bought new in September last year.
Since I posted my question, I have continued to try to figure out what is going on. Please excuse a long post, as I try explain what I am seeing.
I tried using CameraRC, and found that the focus control and focus stacking functions worked with that program. I switched back to using ControlMyNikon, and focus control and stacking worked. When I disconnected the camera, and removed the USB cable, autofocus in the camera did not work.
Reconnecting the camera and using ControlMyNikon again, focus control and stacking continued to work, and then, for no reason that I could see, it stopped working. (It doesn't work with CameraRC either.)
Now, with the camera disconnected, autofocus in the camera works properly.
No camera settings were changed during this sequence.
To me, it appears that for program focus control to work, something in the camera needs to happen to disable in camera autofocus.
When focus control worked using ControlMyNikon, in camera autofocus appeared to be disabled, even when the camera was disconnected. Now autofocus in the camera works normally, and focus control in ControlMyNikon doesn't work.
Update: I tried CameraRC again. Focus control worked. With the camera disconnected, I saw "PC" in the top LCD on the camera, whether the camera was switched on or off. The camera would not connect using ControlMyNikon. Removing and replacing the camera battery restored normal camera behaviour. Now the camera will connect to ControlMyNikon, but program focus control doesn't work...
I realize I may be looking at a camera/lens issue that can't be diagnosed. However, if you do have any suggestions, that would be very helpful.
In the meantime, I am very impressed by ControlMyNikon, and finding it useful.
Richard
DevRuss
Journeyman

Post by DevRuss »

Hi Richard,

I understand from your email on Feb 23 that it is now working. Please let me know if you run across the reason it was not working.

Regarding autofocus: the SDK/firmware/lens cpu functionality/code that control an autofocus attempt, and the incremental focus control used in stacking are two completely different things. Many third-party lenses will autofocus just fine, but fail on the incremental focus control.
Russ - Tetherscript Developer