'Transfer only JPEG to Computer' option needed

Got an idea for a great new feature? Let's hear it!

Moderator: DevRuss

skarlins

'Transfer only JPEG to Computer' option needed

Post by skarlins »

Need a way to set ControlMyNikon so only the JPEG's get transfered to the computer, while having the camera set to JPEG + NEF.

Please add this important feature!

Thanks!
Scott K.
DevRuss
Journeyman

Re: 'Transfer only JPEG to Computer' option needed

Post by DevRuss »

Hi Scott,

This is an interesting suggested feature. You had mentioned in another post that it is a feature in Nikon's software, but I don't see how it can happen (reading the Nikon SDK docs), but I'll investigate further.

If the hope is to keep the original good image (a raw) on the card as a backup to the jpg so you have images at least on to devices, some solutions now are:
1) Set ControlMyNikon to save to card AND computer. You'll have both the nef and jpg in both locations, but it is backed up. Jpg's don't take up too much room anyways.
2) If you don't want nef's and jpgs in the same folder in CMN, from https://www.tetherscript.com/kbcmn/files-and-folders/

Example 3: Save raw and jpg’s to separate folders
This requires the @EXT token. It will be a placeholder for the file extension. This also works for .mov files.
– In the Folder field, enter ‘c:\images\@DT1\@EXT’
– Test your changes by setting your camera to save as Raw + JPG. Capture an image and confirm that it went to the intended folder. In this example let’s also create subfolders for each day. The images will be saved to
c:\images\20140730\jpg
c:\images\20140730\nef

Hope that helps!

Russ
Russ - Tetherscript Developer
skarlins

Post by skarlins »

Russ,

I will provide you a screen grab from the Nikon Software shortly.

What is nice about this feature is that while NEF and JPEG are going to the card(s), (a requirement for our office), ONLY JPEG is transferred to the computer. We only need JPEG on the computer side to preview images. Much faster to transfer only the JPEG!

Thank you Russ!
DevRuss
Journeyman

Post by DevRuss »

I'll take a look and see if this is possible in the SDK for the next version.
Russ - Tetherscript Developer