Live view

Post your question or observations here.

Moderator: DevRuss

franj

Live view

Post by franj »

When shooting in live view mode is it possible to turn off exposure preview? I shoot in studio with strobes and therefore the exposure is always way under making it hard to focus and compose.
DevRuss
Journeyman

Re: Live view

Post by DevRuss »

Some bodies allow you to turn exposure preview on or off in the body LCD menu. As you discovered, when exposure preview is on and you are using strobes, the live view image is always quite dark making it difficult to compose the shot.

The workaround for this problem is to:

1) If using live view GPU-mode, go to the live view layers tab and increase the Brightness slider.
or
2) if using live view in non-GPU-mode, go to the live view layers tab and use the ISO Pinning feature, which will increase the brightness.

Either workaround increases the brightness in the live view window only and does not affect the captured image exposure.

Hope that helps!
Russ - Tetherscript Developer
RPmtl
Apprentice

Re: Live view

Post by RPmtl »

(Sorry to jump on a thread that I didn't start but my question's on the same topic.)

I just discovered that I could save a Profile as "1" (or whatever name you prefer) for shooting with studio strobes (example: 1/60 @ f/11, ISO200, Sunny white balance) and a second Profile saved as "2" that I select when viewing the subject in Live Mode with the modelling lights (example: Aperture Priority, f/11, ISO200, Incandescent white balance). This resolves the problem of the Live View image being too dark and white balance not matching the shooting white balance when you would prefer to not use Auto WB.

Perhaps in a future release it might be possible to add a feature whereby one profile would automatically by applied to the shooting mode and a different one applied to the Live View mode?

R