ControlMyJoystick in Unreal Engine

Post your question or observations here.

Moderator: DevRuss

rkl

ControlMyJoystick in Unreal Engine

Post by rkl »

Hi,

Is it possible to config ControlMyJoystick to use in Unreal Engine?
I wasn't able to make it happen and the tutorial videos are using a previous version of the software, so I got a little confused.

I would like to translate Rx Ry and Rz to Mouse Axis inputs and Gamepad analog Inputs as a second implementation (another profile).

I tried loading Elite: Dangerous profile but it didnt translate to the Unreal Editor.

Thanks,
Gabriel.
DevRuss
Journeyman

Re: ControlMyJoystick in Unreal Engine

Post by DevRuss »

ControlMyJoystick can emulate a joystick from 3Dconnexion inputs, so if Unreal Editor supports joystick movements it should be doable. However, ControlMyJoystick can't emulate mouse movements from the 3Dconnexion inputs.

Hope that helps!
Russ - Tetherscript Developer
rkl

Post by rkl »

How do I emulate Analog inputs such as XBox Gamepad Thumbstick X and Y Axis?

Thanks,
Gabriel
DevRuss
Journeyman

Post by DevRuss »

I haven't tried using an XBox controller with CMJ yet, but if you can get it to show up in Windows as a joystick, it should be readable by CMJ, which can pass the X and Y axis as joystick data to the game.
Jay Roslav

Post by Jay Roslav »

ControlMyJoystick can't emulate mouse movements from the 3Dconnexion inputs
I just wrote separate post expanding on this "3DConnection support for 3d software" in General Questions. In short: if You can "Draw an X in Microsoft Paint" (Tutorial 15 in ControlMyYoystick) you can emulate mouse NAVIGATION in 3D software. Basically all there is to standard mouse navigation in 3d is ability to draw “x” and “+” while simultaneously pressing keyboard keys. So if you script mouse movement "drawing" little lines corresponding to rotation, pan etc. and combine it with keybord keys (alt; shift etc.) it should be doable.
Said that I have no clue how :oops: :cry: :lol:
DevRuss
Journeyman

Post by DevRuss »

I see what you mean, but this still isn't feasible in CMJ other that simple WASD movements. Unreal Engine really needs to add DxWare support to get the full power of the controller, such as how far along the axis you have moved the controller so you can move/pan/rotate at axis-proportional speeds.
DevRuss
Journeyman

Post by DevRuss »

I just wanted to follow up with you on your questions concerning whether CMJ will work in the UE4 editor. The answer is no, it can’t.

However, I have been getting a lot (seemingly daily) of questions about this exact thing, so I am looking at trying to implement a solution, and I was wondering if you would be willing to help me understand what would be your ideal workflow. I am new to UE4 editor, so your input here is really important to me.

I do have the UE4 editor up and running, and can use a gamepad to navigate the 3d view. I can possibly create a gamepad virtual driver that can be read by the UE4 editor, and have CMJ map 3dconnexion controller axis and button presses to this driver, which in theory can be consumed by the UE4 editor.

Some questions about your ideal spacemouse workflow:
1) Which spacemouse controller would you use?
2) Would you use the buttons on the controller?
3) Would you use voice commands to activate macros (these can be used to send keystrokes to the editor)?
4) Would you use controller curves.
5) Would the 2, 3 and 4 tap feature on the controller puck be useful?

Please keep in mind that I’m talking about a solution for the editor only, not as a solution for use of the spacemouse within a running game (although if the game used a gamepad, CMJ could be used I suppose).

Anyways, I hope you can help me understand your workflow requirements.

Russ the CMJ Dev
urban
Apprentice

Post by urban »

if you could make so the tetherscript driver can emulate an xinput xbox controller, that would open up cmj to being used in a ton of games and applications, very easily
DevRuss
Journeyman

Post by DevRuss »

Well we tried making a xbox controller emulator driver, but it isn't the usual HID driver and has some complexity and licensing issues, so we won't have this any time soon.
drowhunter

Post by drowhunter »

Why not use VIGEM HID Driver? It opensource and free

HID Hide by the same guys is also useful when combining joysticks, so the original joysticks don't interfere